Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thinking about thoughts...

The school that I studied in is just a 5 minute walk from my place, and just behind the school is this beautiful and green colony where IAS officers and Ministers stay. I go for a walk once in a while in this area. I enjoy these walks thoroughly…the trees, the breeze, the view of my old school, it all brings back such sweet memories! And when I’m walking I think about the times, say a couple of years back when I was walking through the same area…and when I recollect that moment, I don’t think about what I was wearing that day, or who I was walking with or what else I had been doing that day; but I think about what I was thinking then! Take a moment here and you will understand what I’m saying.

When I’m reading pages from my diary which go back many years, or when I’m looking at a photo taken long back or a video shot ages ago; it’s fascinating to think about and remember what was it that was going on in my mind at the time I was writing that particular diary entry or having that photograph taken. What was I thinking, what was I feeling, what were my worries, my delights, my thoughts on the things and the people around me? Now would those thoughts seem childish to me, probably even funny? Zapping through the thoughts of the past me…feeling what I haven’t felt in a long while, remembering people and moments from what seems like another era in itself….it’s all just too wonderful!

There’s this episode in ‘How I met your mother’, in which Marshall (the lead role’s best friend) finds a letter that his 15 year old self had written for his 30 year old self. Guess what, I’m going to write a letter to my 30 year old self too! At first the idea may seem silly, but think about it…what better way to record your present thoughts for your future self to amuse over?

1 comment:

Abha said...

Hey, amazing post Chhavi!!! This is so thoughtful of you. And I love the idea of writing a letter to my 30 year old self!! I think I am gonna try it...